Office Hours Protocol
Instructions (5 Minutes):
- Use this protocol during one or more work period(s).
- Create a schedule of times that students can sign up for during class.
- Have an “office area.” Do not use a regular meeting area such as a teacher’s desk. Set up bench or chairs in different location (Ex. hallway).
- Meet/Conference with students about their work, assignment, project, etc.
- Encourage them to have their work with them.
- Take notes.
- Have direct questions that guide the conversation and ask for specifics based on learning goals (examples).
- What are you celebrating in your work?
- I have noticed... I like...
- Tell me about the progress you have made.
- What has been interesting in completing this work?
- What has been challenging?
- What are you next steps to completing this?
- What do you need from me to continue in this work?
- When the meeting has concluded:
- Thank them for their time.
- Encourage them in their work.
- Ask them to have the next person on the list join you.
- Writing utensil.